-entering service learning hours for MYP and School Awards is different this year. MYP service learning hours are to be uploaded through MyBlueprint; service hours for School Awards are entered through the link at the bottom of this page.
Service Learning at Hugh Boyd:
The International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program promotes student involvement in the community through service. Students learn the importance of action and its impact on local, national, and global communities in the classroom, and will expand their experience of community through personal service. In doing so, students are encouraged to be caring, concerned, responsible citizens of their local community and the world at large. We encourage students to consider their own interests to determine what type of service best suits them as they complete their service hours in the local environment, and consider what they can do to contribute to the global community. Service as action can occur in the classroom and/or in school or local settings.
Why Service Learning?
- The power of one. Each one of us can help to make the world a better place.
- Personal responsibility. Each one of us has a responsibility to the local and global community.
- Caring. Through service to the community, we can help build more caring human beings.
- Exposure to new fields and skills. Through community service, students can learn about future career possibilities and learn new skills, such as working as a team, being a leader, organizing one’s time, and setting goals.
- Connect learning in the classroom to meaningful action to make changes outside the classroom.
Community & Service is not…
- Family chores
- Anything you get paid for
- Attendance or participation at meetings, clubs or teams
Students are provided opportunities to be involved in service at the school level, and are encouraged to listen to school announcements for service opportunities. Students are also able to participate in service outside of the school. Students are required to complete a total of 10 hours in each year of the programme, for a total of 30 hours.
To Record MYP Service Learning Hours…
Students are responsible for tracking their hours and submitting their hours online. To do so, students need to:
- Log into myblueprint.ca
- On your dashboard, go to either “My Files” or “class activities”
- Clink on “Service&Reflection.2019.pdf” to access a fillable pdf form
- Record service hours as you complete them (Reflections as well)
- Make sure to SAVE the PDF onto your computer (or else all your work will be lost!)
- Upload PDF to class “MYP 2019-2020 Grade ___s”
For further instructions, please see the powerpoint slide attached to this page.
Setting Up your MyBlueprint Account
- Visit www.myblueprint.ca/sd38
- Select your school (Boyd) from the drop down menu and click create account
- When prompted to select your account type, click student, select your grade and click continue
- Enter your Education Number (PEN) and Personal Info and click continue
Forgot your password? àYou can reset your password by clicking on the “forgot your password” link
Forgot your email? à Ask Ms. Tong to reset your email
Opportunities provided at Boyd Include:
- Scorekeeping and refereeing sports games-see Ms. Hayden
- Interact Club-see Mr. Aura
- Student Council-see Mr. Mamonluk
- Green Thumbers-see Ms. Tong
- Unity Club-see Ms. Scott
- Library Monitors-see Ms. Moor or Ms. Leung
- And many more!
Outside the school:
- Elementary schools
- West Richmond Community Centre
- See Bulletin Board outside the Library Learning Commons for updated opportunities
Earning a school service award:
- School-based hours only
- Minor service award certificate (30-100 service hours during the school year)
- Major service award certificate (100+ service hours during the school year)
For questions about school service awards or how to log your service hours online, please speak with Mr. Reid.
***Cumulative hours will be posted in January and March for students to review***
The deadline to submit school awards service hours is Friday, May 15, 2019.
To log student service hours for a school award: